Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wish: Preferences quick choice

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 15:50:30 -0700
On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 08:41:09PM +0100, Stig Bj?rlykke wrote:

> I know it's possible to search in the preferences for a given
> protocol, but when the Protocol entry is default collapsed the search
> does not work until I expand it.  And it does not work with sub
> entries like the OSI protocols.  Maybe the search should open all sub
> entries?

Agreed.  Hopefully that's possible in GTK...

> I also know it's possible to go directly to the Protocol Preferences
> from the Packet details, but this does not work for the BER dissector.
> Or if I have to configure the correct port for an undissected UDP
> package.  Or use my custom port for SNMP packages.  Maybe the "Decode
> As..." should be extended to be able to save the changes?

Saving the decode as settings has been brought up numerous times before.
Maybe it's time to implement an option to save them.  I think in most
cases they should not be saved.

> I see three possible enhancements:
> 1. Add a list of custom key combinations to set specific protocol options
> (which could toggle a boolean, popup a window for a integer/string value, or
> popup the uat)

Our key combinations are already a mess (multiple widgets in the main
window use the same key combination for example).  Adding more key
combinations could be tricky.

> 2. Add a option to have a collection of "favorite" dissector preferences to
> the currently unused Protocols phane (an example in the attached
> Preferences.png).

Thanks for the attachment to visualize this.  This seems like a really
good idea to consider.

Steve