Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Distributing a wireshark dissector

From: Andy Lawman <ALawman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 16:22:41 +0000

I've also been developing a dissector and have followed much the same path as you. I'm developing at home on XP, distributing at work mainly on 2000, but with some PCs on XP. All is well except, oddly, the XP installations at work. First I checked the version of vcredist.exe I was using, but when that looked ok I started to use the /MT compile option to statically link the functions I needed from the runtime library. The resultant dll grew from 10k to 100k, but it worked just fine.

Specifically, in my dissector's Makefile.nmake I added to /MT to the CFLAGS variable at line 12 spilling on to line 13.

Andy.

"Eytan Kidron" <EytanK@xxxxxxxxxxx>
<wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
bcc
Subject
[Wireshark-dev] Distributing a wireshark dissector

"Eytan Kidron" <EytanK@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Please respond to : Developer support list for Wireshark <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sent by: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
15/11/2007 14:20

Hi,

I have a question concerning the creation and distribution of dissectors.
I created a dissector using a tutorial which I found in http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/custom_dissector.asp, and now I have a dll called my-protocol.dll.
I am not interested, at this point, in distributing this dissector to the general public, but I am interested in distributing it within my organization. I found that I could do that by creating a wireshark installer (see step 12 in the link above).
When others in my organization executed this installer and copied the dll to the appropriate place, they could use the dissector. The problem with that is that whenever a new version of wireshark is released, my dissector will obviously not be there, and if somebody wants some feature from a newer wireshark version and also wants my dissector, they need two separate wireshark installations.

My question is:
Is it possible to add a new dissector to an existing wireshark without having to reinstall it or install a separate instance of wireshark?

One might expect that I could simply copy my-protocol.dll to the folder where all the other dlls are, but when I tried to do this I got an error in loading a C runtime library (incidentally, I am working on Windows XP). Is that supposed to work?

I don't mind the users in my organization having to do something extra (like copying a dll) every time they update their wireshark, if they want to use this dissector, but I don’t want to need to create a new installer whenever a new wireshark version is released.

I would be grateful if anyone could help me with this.
Thanks,
Eytan