Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] How to diagnose "failure to capture" situation?

From: "Chris Markle" <cmarkle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 10:55:45 -0800
Hi folks,

I had a customer of ours install Wireshark 0.99.6a and WinPcap to help
us disgnose a networking issue involving their Windows XP system. No
matter what form of installing, uninstalling, rebooting, etc. we did,
we could not get Wireshark to capture on his wireless interface. What
I am used to seeing is when I open the Capture -> Interfaces window, I
see packet counts on active interfaces, even if capture is not
started. I see no packet counts on any of his interfaces even though
his computer is clearly connected to the internet. Then if I try to
capture on the wireless interface anyway, I see no packets captured.

What kinds of things can I do to diagnose what's going on here?

Thanks in advance.

Chris