Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] my added dissectors don't appear in the Makefile

From: "Fulko Hew" <fulko.hew@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 00:18:21 -0500

On Nov 8, 2007 2:16 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Fulko Hew wrote:

> Im just wrapping up development on my enhancements and new
> dissectors for wireshark, and while preparing my patch set, I'm
> testing it by applying it to a virgin tarball.
>
> The developer instructions say I just had to add my src files
> to epan/dissectors/Makefile.common, and then I run
> 'configure' and make.
>
> But the resultant epan/dissectors/Makefile doesn't contain
> references (to compile/link) the my dissectors (that I added
> to Makefile.common.  This is driving me NUTS!
>
> I can't figure out why my virgin test case isn't including _my_
> dissectors.  It seems that configure writes the makefile,
> but I can't figure out how/where its done, or whats missing
> that its not doing it right.
>
> (Then again, on my test machine, if I remove my entry from
> Makefile.common, ./configure; make;  my entry isn't removed
> either.)
>
> Any clues would be welcome (for my sanity).

Makefile.common + Makefile.am become Makefile.in when you run 'autogen.sh'.

'configure' takes Makefile.in and makes Makefile .

(The source tarballs have already had autogen run on them so they have a
usable Makefile.in .)

(At least that's my feeble understanding...)

Thanks, thats helped me understand the situation.
Indeed when I run autogen.sh, the makefiles are correctly
rebuilt.

Now my trouble is, autogen.sh invokes aclocal and
and the stuff aclocal looks at is too old to work right.
So for my embeded system's build, I will manually
fix Makefile.in (and I'll eventually get around to
modernizing my build environment).