Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] A #define MUST_DO_SELECT problem/question

From: "Fulko Hew" <fulko.hew@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 00:11:47 -0500
I was just about to wrap-up my additions to wireshark by porting
my enhancements from version 0.99.4 to the latest (0.99.6a 'ish)
version from SVN when I encountered an 'issue'.

Somewhere between these two versions, there was a change to
capture_loop.h that enforces #define MUST_DO_SELECT on linux
systems which seems to be the the opposite behaviour compared
to 0.99.4.  As a result my version now fails at the test

at capture_loop.c:1006 instead of actually capturing traffic
via capture_loop.c:1051

Now, I'll admit that this code works correctly with MUST_DO_SELECT
when using the std libpcap, but it now fails when using _my_ libpcap.
(If I comment out the define at capture_loop.h:100, then my version
works too.)

Unfortunately I'm at a loss to explain/understand why its
failing, and what I need to do to fix it.  The comments near
capture_loop.c:994 says to 'plead with whoever supplies the
software for that device to add "select()" support', but that
would be _me_ and I don't know what I need to add select()
support to (and then I might not understand how either).

Can someone enlighten me?

TIA
Fulko