Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] my added dissectors don't appear in the Makefile

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 14:16:55 -0500

Fulko Hew wrote:

Im just wrapping up development on my enhancements and new
dissectors for wireshark, and while preparing my patch set, I'm
testing it by applying it to a virgin tarball.

The developer instructions say I just had to add my src files
to epan/dissectors/Makefile.common, and then I run
'configure' and make.

But the resultant epan/dissectors/Makefile doesn't contain
references (to compile/link) the my dissectors (that I added
to Makefile.common.  This is driving me NUTS!

I can't figure out why my virgin test case isn't including _my_
dissectors.  It seems that configure writes the makefile,
but I can't figure out how/where its done, or whats missing
that its not doing it right.

(Then again, on my test machine, if I remove my entry from
Makefile.common, ./configure; make;  my entry isn't removed
either.)

Any clues would be welcome (for my sanity).

Makefile.common + Makefile.am become Makefile.in when you run 'autogen.sh'.

'configure' takes Makefile.in and makes Makefile .

(The source tarballs have already had autogen run on them so they have a usable Makefile.in .)

(At least that's my feeble understanding...)