Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Opinions on new feature needed

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 22:00:18 +0100
On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 06:34:25PM -0700, Stephen Fisher wrote:

> The feature is a drop-down arrow on the right side of the main toolbar
> that lets you access any buttons that don't fit on the screen/in the
> Wireshark main window.  The advantage to enabling it by default is that
> users will find out about it quicker.  The disadvantage to enabling it
> by default is that it takes the place of the rightmost button, which may
> annoy users that use it frequently (of course, they can just disable it
> in the layout preferences if they know that you can disable it:).

Nice feature!

Would it be possible to calculate whether the buttons fit in
the current window and place the "down-arrow" there only when
the currently selected(*) buttons don't fit? That way people
won't have to miss their current view unless they were going to
lose some buttons anyhow.

Cheers,
    Sake

(*) As Joerg suggested, being able to customize the buttons would
really be a neat feature. There are some preferences that I keep
toggling (like "allow subdissector to reassemble tcp segments"). To
be able to make a button for all the FUP's (Frequently Used
Preference :-)) would be handy. Just because everyone has
different FUP's.