Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] what are the steps needed to add a plugin

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 13:45:29 -0700
On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 11:42:14AM -0800, jaydeep chokshi wrote:

> I am a newbie to the wireshark development. I created a plugin *foo
> *(in Linux) that comes into action after Ethernet header has been
> dissected.
>
> In order to compile wireshark with the plugin, I had to make following
> additions/changes,

> My question cum confusion is, do we have to go through all the pain in
> order to make a plugin work? I mean, do we need to edit these many
> Makefiles every single time we add a new plugin?

I believe you do need to go through all of that work to add a plug-in
(see doc/README.plugins to be sure as I have never written a plug-in).

You may want to consider making built-in dissectors.  All you have to do
for a built-in dissector is to add the dissector file to
epan/dissectors/ and add an entry for it to CLEAN_DISSECTOR_SRC in
epan/dissectors/Makefile.common.

Steve