Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Protocol Parser Compiler

From: Andrew Feren <acferen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:02:29 -0700 (PDT)
--- Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Graham Bloice wrote:
> > Might be interesting for some:
> >
> > binpac: A yacc for Writing Application Protocol Parsers
> > http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/2496
>
> Sebastien Tandel mentioned that back in May - I didn't get around to
> replying back then; thanks for reminding me of this and getting me to
> reply.  Apologies to Sebastien for not replying then....
>
> Yes, something such as this would, I suspect, be a Very Good Thing.

[ snip ]

I'm looking at binpac for other reasons, but would be interested in using it
to generate Wireshark dissectors too.

I do, however, have one question before I head too far down this path.  How
do people feel about introducing C++ to Wireshark?  I ask because binpac
currently generates C++ code.

I can use binpac as it stands to generate dissectors, but adding a C backend
to binpac is out of scope for me at this time.

-Andrew

-Andrew Feren
 acferen@xxxxxxxxx