Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] State of asn1 Makefiles

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 08:02:38 +0200
Hello,

I've just committed the last "big" patch to convert the asn dissection
generators Makefiles. From my point of view there are a few things left:

1) at least on my system when I call the generator for external cnf
   files, MAKEFILEFLAGS somehow gets set to "w". This looks like
   "(cd ../x509ce && make w generate_export)" in the logs.

2) Remove the pathname from lines like #line 1 "./packet-snmp-template.c"
   to make the generated code independent of in-/out-of-tree builds.

3) Normal build options fail in several cases due to circular -exp.cnf
   dependencies.

4) Don't generate all the dissectors in case of a top-level "make all".

I'll try to look at 1) again later with some distance, currently I'm
unable to figure out what's going on.

I tried to do 2) but failed due to lack of python knowledge (and thus
understanding of the code).

We need a solution to problem 3) and the solution I see is to add an
option to asn2wrs to *only* generate -exp.cnf files without doing the
rest of the job.

Should I address 4) or leave the behaviour as it is now? The files are
not copied over into epan/dissectors/ but I'd like to get some
opionions.

 Ciao
    Joerg