Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] RE : column_info.h rev 23058 introduce a bug forplugins?

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 15:21:40 +0200
On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 03:10:53PM +0200, Antoine Gardiol - FiveCo wrote:
> I understand that backward compatibility is hard to keep, but when we
> thought about plugins, we understand plug(&play)in(the software) no ?
> My point of view is that backward compatibility should be kept for plugins
> and could be broken for embedded disectors.

No. Plugins are mostly a way to provide faster development cycles and to
enable companies to *internally* provide binary only extensions without
having to create a special Wireshark version (you cannot provide binary
only plugins to external customers without providing them with the
source as well in case they request it).

 ciao
     Joerg