Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] About a faster wireshark

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 07:20:36 +0200
Hi,

One of the design goals of the Wireshark code base is portability. This proposal seems to revolve around platform and compiler specific hacks, contradicting this principle. So it will probably remain a seperate patch, not included in trunk. What do you propose on maintenance of this patch? If it's not in trunk, I see no one picking it up and maintain it. There's another patch in the Wiki (can you find it?) which I doubt anyone has used. What would be great if usable portions could be extracted from your patch and added to trunk. These will have to be portable though.

Thanx,
Jaap

Didier wrote:
Hi
Some time ago I did work on a faster wireshark and it could be useful to others.

Is it ok if I upload the diff (~ 250 KB) in the wiki?

Notes:
- gtk1 and gtk2 but it's glibc and gcc only (easy to change).
- It was for running on G4 Macs ie a not registers starved CPU with rather
slow memory.
- A lot of stuff is broken (capture, some gsm tap...)
- Many dirty and quick hacks...
I can also post some of them to bugzilla but the small ones won't improve
wireshark speed that much.
For us (mostly lan traffic) loading a file is roughly twice as fast and
filtering between 3 and 40 times faster.
Didier