Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Problems With Integrating our device

From: "Varuna De Silva" <varunax@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 19:27:13 +0530
Hello,

We have had several problems when trying to integrate our device
with wireshark. But as its our original effort there are certain problems
we came across.

When we run wireshark with our own wpcap.dll when our device is
attached to the USB port, and when we try to start our capture,
through capture->interfaces, in windows we get an error saying
'dumpcap needs to be closed', and there after we cannot see any
device in the interfaces list.

In integrating our device we have written, pcap-muwis.c file.
with a muwis_open_live() function that returns a pcap_t structure.
Now we have to call this function from pcap_open_live() in pcap-win32.c?

#ifdef HAVE_USB
        if (strstr(device, "muwis")) {
         return muwis_open_live(device, snaplen, promisc, to_ms, ebuf);
        }
#endif

What is this dumpcap ? Or why this is the problem that we face?
Please tell us of any experiences?

Thanks

Varuna