Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Alternative to USBPcap and Possibility of

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 17:14:20 -0700

On Oct 1, 2007, at 6:01 PM, Guy Harris wrote:

On Sep 30, 2007, at 9:47 PM, Varuna De Silva wrote:

However, he doesn't have a 2.0 version; where did you find the 2.0
version?

This is where it is
http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/UsbSnoop/default.htm

In fact its almost the same I guess, except for few neat-ups for code.

...and I don't see any license, so presumably there's no license issue
with adding it to WinPcap.

Well, no license in any obvious location in the source code distribution.

There's a license on the Web page:

	License and Warranty
This program is provided as a service to the Windows system software development community via Printing Communications Assoc., Inc. (PCAUSA) and Benoit Papillault.

The right to use this code in your own derivative works is granted so long as your own derivative works include significant modifications of your own. This product includes software developed by PCAUSA and Benoit Papillault. The names of PCAUSA and Benoit Papillault may not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

Printing Communications Assoc., Inc. (PCAUSA) and Benoit Papillault expressly disclaim any warranty.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MECHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK ARISING FROM THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE REMAINS WITH YOU.

PCAUSA's entire liability and your exclusive remedy shall not exceed the price paid for this material. In no event shall PCAUSA or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of business profit, business interruption, loss of business information, or any other pecuniary loss) arising out of the use or inability to use this software, even if PCAUSA has been advised of the possibility of such damages. Because some states/jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages, the above limitation may not apply to you.

I suspect "slicing out the capture code and putting it into WinPcap", which I assume is what you have in mind, would count as "significant modifications of [your] own". However, I don't know what additional restrictions that'd put on, say, somebody re-packaging WinPcap.