Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Win2000 Error: wireshark.exe is not a valid Win32 applicatio

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 19:16:18 +0200
yin sun schrieb:

On 8/27/07, *Greg Bell* <greg_bell_12@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:greg_bell_12@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Thanks for that reply. I'm glad someone confirmed it works using
    VC 2005EE. What about the Platform SDK, did you use Server 2003 R2?

Yes, I also have VS80sp1-KB926748-X86-INTL.exe installed for the reason I forgot.
**As SP1 is installed then, you've have a different version of the Visual Studio and the redistributable files - this may cause problems!

    Regarding your mods,
    2. We're referring to C:\wireshark-0.99.6\tools\win32-setup.sh right?

Yes.
I'm also using Unix style cygwin and don't need the dos2unix call. However, I'm compiling from subversion not from the released sources - as mentioned in the step-by-step guide.

    3. Do you replace all occurences of xcopy (in if statements only)
    with "c:/WINNT/system32/xcopy"? For example,
    if exist wireshark.pdb xcopy wireshark.pdb $(INSTALL1_DIR) /d
    Becomes:
    if exist wireshark.pdb "c:/WINNT/system32/xcopy" wireshark.pdb
    $(INSTALL1_DIR) /d

Yes.
Why is this xcopy stuff necessary? xcopy should be always in the path?!?

    I tried changing my build environment to VC6 and it now works on
    Windows 2000. I may just end up sticking with this build setup, as
    it resolves my issue and seems less problamatic than using
    VC2005EE. I think the "Win32: Step-by-Step Guide" should state at
    the top that if you have VC6, use it instead of 2005EE.

The number of people having VC6 is decreasing rapidly (including myself in the next months) and I don't want to have "tons of options" listed in the guide - this makes it even harder to follow it.

Regards, ULFL