Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] SNMP/MIBs TO DO

From: "Luis EG Ontanon" <luis.ontanon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 00:21:17 +0200
Hi List,

As many of you might have noticed I rolled out the new OID Support
stuff, and adapted SNMP and  COPS  to use it. I'm aware that it is
going to create some of you some problems. I'm sorry, but  for
personal reasons I either did it this weekend or I would not even know
when I would had had the continuous time to do it.

There's still some things to do and I putting down a list so others
can add to it or help me out with it.

SNMP
- Some SNMP dissector changes are still to be tested, there are some
features that I have already deployed and due to the lack of capture
files I could not test them myself.
   - OctetString Indexes (both implied and not) -- Some RMON tables
use them, traces are welcome
   - Traps
- Fix the outstanding bugs (those related to OIDs being copied into COL_INFO)
- Negative testing (fuzzing, willfully malformed oids and stuff like
that, someone make a comment about a program that generates funky SNMP
packets)
- Come up with a list of default MIBs and PIBs (there was a
/*comment*/ in the snmp code (now gone with the surrounding code)
saying that we should not, should we?)

COPS
- the mapping of OID->attribute in COPS is still incomplete
- we are missing the PIBs  (like MIBs but for COPS)  in the libsmi zipfile

GENERAL,
- Some OIDs (not from MIBs) are added more than once during protocol
registration, I'm currently having them renamed each time.

- There are oids being registered with long names like "itu-t(0)
identified-organization(4) etsi(0) mobileDomain(0) gsm-Network(1)
map-ac(0) networkLocUp(1) version3(3)"

- There are others that attempt to be registered with "funky" oid
strings "dop.agreement.2.5.19.1" or "x411.extension-attribute.27"
which are not resolvable (I tried to fix these but they come from deep
into asn2wrs and I could not figure out how to get it fixed).

- I added some macros to oids.h to replace the obsoleted oid-related
calls in oid_resolv.h  to_str.h and format-oid.h, it would be nice to
actually rewrite the invocations.

Setting the environment variable WIRESHARK_DEBUG_MIBS to 1 or more
should get print-outs for these.

BR
Luis

-- Marshall McLuhan