Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Display Filter Fields typos, missing fields, etc.

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:21:14 -0600
On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 03:39:24PM -0400, Maynard, Chris wrote:

> I was looking at the display filter fields recently and noticed that
> there seem to be some display filter field naming mistakes/typos.
> Basically, there are a lot of naming inconsistencies, and in at least
> one case, no name at all.  Here are a just a few of the dissectors
> that seem affected:

> There are a lot more, but for brevity, I haven't listed them all here.
> Is reporting this on the developer's list sufficient, or should I open
> a bug for all/some of them?

Thanks for you report!  Please submit a bug report with the examples you
listed in this e-mail (no sense in wasting your time going through to
find all of them).  Hopefully someone will find the time to then start
cleaning these up :)

> Perhaps there should be a more strict naming convention?  Is there a
> way to automate the names so typos, missing fields, etc. can be
> avoided?

Interesting idea.  I am all for making a template to help developers
pick field names (it can be tricky when you have a lot in a single
dissector).

Steve