Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Display Filter Fields typos, missing fields, etc.

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:39:24 -0400
I was looking at the display filter fields recently and noticed that
there seem to be some display filter field naming mistakes/typos.
Basically, there are a lot of naming inconsistencies, and in at least
one case, no name at all.  Here are a just a few of the dissectors that
seem affected:

packet-ieee80211.c:
1.	There are many fields (I count 51 of them) that seem to me that
they should be prefixed with "wlan.".  For example, fixed.chanwidth,
fixed.qosinfo.ap, fixed.qosinfo.ap.edcaupdate, ...

2.	hf_tag_measure_rpi_histogram_report is missing a display filter
name, i.e.,
		{"Receive Power Indicator (RPI) Histogram Report", "",

packet-slowprotocols:
		There appear to be 4 different prefixes used: "slow.",
"lacp.", "marker.", and "oam.".  Should they all be prefixed with
"slow."?

packet-aim-admin.c:
		Two fields are prefixed with "aim." and one is prefixed
with "admin.".  Shouldn't all 3 be prefixed with, "aim.admin."?

packet-gsm_a.c:
1.	"sm_a.rr.pow_cmd_pow" should probably be "gsm_a.rr.pow_cmd_pow".

Others with potential issues:
packet-aim-generic.c
packet-aim-messaging.c
packet-aim-ssi.c
packet-amr.c
packet-ansi_map.c
packet-calcappprotocol.c
packet-cast.c
packet-cpha.c
packet-dcerpc-afs4int.c
packet-dcerpc-nt.c
packet-dhcpv6.c
packet-dnp.c
packet-docsis*.c
.... and so on and so on.

There are a lot more, but for brevity, I haven't listed them all here.
Is reporting this on the developer's list sufficient, or should I open a
bug for all/some of them?  Perhaps there should be a more strict naming
convention?  Is there a way to automate the names so typos, missing
fields, etc. can be avoided?

- Chris

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, retention,
distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you
are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the
recipient), please contact the sender by reply email and delete all
copies of this message. Also, email is susceptible to data
corruption, interception, tampering, unauthorized amendment and
viruses. We only send and receive emails on the basis that we are
not liable for any such corruption, interception, tampering,
amendment or viruses or any consequence thereof.