Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Win2000 Error: wireshark.exe is not a valid Win32 applicatio

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 09:21:22 +0100
Greg Bell wrote:
> This is what I get when I try and run my wireshark build on Windows
> 2000. It works fine on Windows XP and 2003. My build is based off
> the 0.99.6 release source. One thing I noticed was that when trying to
> install the Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (during the Wireshark
> install), it gave a "Error 1723. There is a problem with this Windows
> Installer package...". Is there any compatibility issues with this and
> Windows 2000?
>
> Someone had this problem before, but it seems no solution was found:
>
> [Wireshark-dev] Error: wireshark.exe is not a valied Win32 application
> http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/200706/msg00123.html
>
> Also, the Windows 2000 "problems to avoid" in
> http://wiki.wireshark.org/BuildingAndInstalling
> I don't understand.
>
> I'm using Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition, Platform SDK Server 2003
> R2, and C-Runtime redistributable for Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition
> (vcredist_x86.exe) for the installer.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Regarding the "Not a valid win32 app" on W2K, as best as I could work
out, this is an issue introduced by the manifest compiler\linker
contained within the W2K3 Platform SDK.  This might have been fixed in
the Vista SDK, but as I don't (currently) use that I'm not sure.  What I
can tell you is that that the SDK supplied with VS2005 Professional does
work, but that's not much help to you with EE.

Can you post the results of using "where <command>" for the commands
"nmake", "cl", "link" and "mt" in your build environment?

If anyone else is building with VS 2005 EE *and* the resulting
executables work on W2K, can they please post what SDK they are using.

--
Regards,

Graham Bloice