Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Add additional SNMP MIBs to the Wireshark distribution?

From: Wes Hardaker <wjhns36@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:02:19 -0700

AH> libsmi's parser is MUCH more picky than net-snmp's parser.

Mostly, FYI:

Yep.  By design.  Libsmi is designed to be a strict parser enforcing the
rules of the SMI against the MIBs.  This is seen as a benefit since it
forces MIB authors to fix problems (and the IETF actually requires new
MIBs published in standard documents to be checked with libsmi's the
excellent smilint tool).

Net-SNMP's parser, on the other hand, has taken the roll of trying to be
helpful to the user whenever possible and accept MIBs that although not
strictly legally correct could still interpreted and thus are loadable
and usable.  (it's highly unlikely that most end-users will know how to
edit SMI documents to fix problems, after all).