Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Strip Ethernet broadcast / locally administered flags from a

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:31:08 +0200
On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 02:27:59PM +0200, Ulf Lamping wrote:

> > Otherwise, I'd like to change the mask to 0xfe
>
> After a short thought now: As it's not unlikely that a locally
> administered card is not from the manufacturer OUI of that address,
> masking out the LA flag might even be misleading.

Why not do it like this:

- LA set             ==> use a keyword like "local"
- LA clear, MC clear ==> resolv(manuf)
- LA clear, MC set   ==> strip MC and resolv(manuf)

ie

04:05:06 -> Xerox
05:05:06 -> Xerox
06:05:06 -> Local
07:05:06 -> Local

I can't imagine myself situations where you locally assign an
address and still be interested in the manufacturor of the card
from which the mac was used as seed. I usually use a BCD encoded
vlan-tag-number as the LA-mac, this would result in something
like "Local_00:01:30" for vlan 130 :-)

Cheers,

Sake