Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] MIB parsing unnecessary

From: "Luis EG Ontanon" <luis.ontanon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 18:52:58 +0200
I been thinking about the fact that Wireshark does not really need a
MIB parser. It just needs to know OIDs, their name and their type.

So I believe we should use a flat file that contains these three
fields and provide the user with a separate program that actually
reads the MIBs to maintain this file: like adding and removing
modules. A file with basic oids should be provided to the user.

That way we could get rid of the NET-SNMP dependency, and *clean* a
dissector that really needs it. I guess that more than 1/3rd (2/3rds
if we take encryption out) of the handwritten code in
packet-snmp-template.c can easily go. And trust me, no one will ever
miss it, especially the maintainers.

The program to maintain the oids file (based on libsmi) I got it
almost written (while "playing" with libsmi).

The changes t get rid of the "extra code" in packet-snmp I'll commit
in the next week or so if no one objects that.

Luis

-- Marshall McLuhan

Propertarianism joined to capitalist vigor destroyed meaningful
commercial competition, but when it came to making good software,
anarchism won.
-- Eben Moglen