Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] libsmi license

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 10:13:17 +0200
On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 04:55:09AM +0200, Luis EG Ontanon wrote:
> is this license GPL compatible?
>
> http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/libsmi/COPYING.html?lang=de
>
> I'd like to allow filtering of snmp Values by name, but AFAIK net-snmp
> does not allow me to traverse the MIBs, other than that this lib has
> no dependencies so it might create less problems.

It looks to me that it is. But it might be safest to just ask the
author. Apart from that: Nice find. It would be nice to get rid of
net-snmp which is only being used for mib-to-oid parsing and oid-to-mib
translation but has the problem of tying in openssl with it's GPL
problems. It also supports pkgconfig, so adding it to wireshark would
be simple. In case you find that libsmi does what you need then let me
know and I can add a test.

 Ciao
     Joerg