Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Building wireshark-0.99.6 problems on Linux

From: Fabrizio Bertocci <fabrizio@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 10:28:01 -0700
Guy Harris wrote:

That's not a bug, that's a feature; in 0.99.6, the default is to enable
warnings as errors, and you have to...

If I run 'configure' with '--disable-warnings-as-errors' I don't get
that compilation error, so it must be something in the configure script
that doesn't work quite well.

...explicitly request that they *not* be treated as errors.

Hmm.. that's not what the 'configure' script says. The configure script reports that by default
--enable-warnings-as-errors is turned off.
... and even the 'configure.in' script says:
AC_ARG_ENABLE(warnings-as-errors,
  AC_HELP_STRING( [--enable-warnings-as-errors],
                  [Treat warnings as errors (only for gcc). @<:@default=no@:>@]),
[
  if test "x$GCC" = "xyes" -a "x$enableval" == "xyes" -a "x$wireshark_extra_gcc_flags" != "xyes"; then
    with_warnings_as_errors="yes"
    AC_MSG_RESULT(yes)
  else
    with_warnings_as_errors="no"
    AC_MSG_RESULT(no)
  fi
],
  with_warnings_as_errors="no"
  AC_MSG_RESULT(no)
)

And the default action is to define 'with_warnings_as_errors="no"'...
so, either there is something I miss here or something is not quite right.
Also... this feature to turn all the warnings into errors, does not apply for the packet dissectors under epan/dissectors... many of them are full of warnings...

Well, it's not a big deal Guy. I know that forcing --disable-warnings-as-errors works fine also on those old RH9/RHEL3 platforms (one extra note: you need also to add this argument to the RPM's spec file...)

Fabrizio