Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] /etc/services file for "port name resolvings"?

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 20:23:29 +0200
Hi List!

Till today, the resolution of TCP/UDP/... ports to it's common service name (e.g. 80 -> http) only used the system function getservbyname(), which in turn uses the file /etc/services (similiar happens on Win32). While this usually works for standards like HTTP, there are a lot of protocols usually not in the system wide /etc/services file.

This morning (SVN 22457/22458) I've added a possibility to use an external file to enhance this, with the same syntax as the commonly used /etc/services file. It can reside in the data dir or the personal dir, as the other name resolution files (manuf, ethers, ...).

I would like to have a more complete list of "port names", shipped together with Wireshark in the data dir, which then can be overwritten by a file in the personal config dir - just as we do it with the other name resolution files already.

The official IANA port list can be found at: http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers, which could be used as a base.

However, I don't know about copyright restrictions of this IANA file and couldn't find anything on their site, except a note "copyright by IANA".

Anyone with more information about this?

Regards, ULFL
Jetzt neu! Schützen Sie Ihren PC mit McAfee und WEB.DE. 3 Monate