Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Problems building Wireshark 0.99.6

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 14:44:53 -0700

On Jul 26, 2007, at 12:30 PM, Guy Harris wrote:

Also, GTK+ and GLIB were installed in /usr/local/lib

It appears that the GLib test macro isn't doing enough checking, as is
it found GLib present, which it is, but not enough of it is present to
*compile* software that uses it.

I suspect you have GLib, but *not* the GLib development package,
installed; packages for libraries in Linux tend to have "user" packages,
which just install shared libraries but not headers or archive
libraries, and "developer" packages, which install headers and perhaps
archive libraries.

If you installed GLib from an RPM, there's probably an RPM with a name
like "glib-devel" or something such as that; you'll need to install
that.  (The same applies to GTK+.)

The key here might be

checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.0.0... Will use uninstalled version of GTK+ found in PKG_CONFIG_PATH
yes (version 2.10.14)

A similar message was printed for GLib.

I tried reading the pkg-config man page, and I have no idea that this "uninstalled" stuff means. The man page says

       --uninstalled
Normally if you request the package "foo" and the package "foo- uninstalled" exists, pkg-config will prefer the "- uninstalled" variant. This allows compilation/linking against uninstalled packages. If you specify the "--uninstalled" option, pkg-config will return successfully if any "-uninstalled" packages are being used, and return failure (false) otherwise. (The "PKG_CONFIG_DISABLE_UNINSTALLED" environment variable keeps pkg- config from implicitly choosing "-uninstalled" packages, so if that variable is set, they will only have been used if you pass a name like "foo-uninstalled" on the command line explicitly.)

but I'm not sure what a "-uninstalled variant" of a package is.