Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New WiMAX R6 plug-in

From: SAWADA Kentaro <sawa-ken@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:17:32 +0900
I also express my thanks to Nivin.

A few comments to add.

(1) I also agree to give the different name to R6 plugin or rename
    the existsted wimax plugin with packet-ieee80216e and keep yours.

(2) I'd like to feedback some points, but is it right place to do such
    things here, or I'd better to email directly with Nivin san?
    Anyway, here's my check.

    a) TLV length is wrongly including 'Type' and 'Length' field.
         Stage3 5.3.1 says:
            The Length field defines the length of the value portion
            in octets (thus a TLV with no value portion would have a
            length of zero.
         which means the length should be only the 'Value' part.

    b) No padding.
         Stage3 5.3.1 says:
            Padding is not included in the length field (so a three
            octet value would have a length of three, but the total
            size of the TLV would be eight octets).
         which means padding is required.

    For instance,
        Tag: Protocol [138], Length: 5
        Wimax TLV tag: 138
        Wimax TLV length: 5
        TLV Data: 01

    must be as follows.

        Tag: Protocol [138], Length: 5
        Wimax TLV tag: 138
        Wimax TLV length: 1 <=== HERE
        TLV Data: 01
        Padding: 00 00 00   <=== HERE

    c) 2nd,3rd,5th packet of your sample, wireshark says:
         Packet is Malformed: Check Tag

    d) 8th packet of your sample, wireshark says:
         Packet is Malformed: Check Tag MS Info

    e) 9th packet of your sample, wireshark has:
         [Dissector bug, protocol WIMAX: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION: dissctor accessed an invalid memory address]

|Thanks for posting this Nivin,
|
|I'm building it now and will try to test later on today, but here are
|a few quick comments:
|
|(1) I renamed the folder (on my machine) to be plugins/wimax-r6r4, so
|as not to clash with the exisint air interface protocols plugin.  Does
|that seem OK to you?
|
|(2) you do lots of switches to convert between numbers and their
|meanings as strings.
|- please use value_string arrays and val_to_str() to look these up instead
|- it would be nice to #define symbols for these