Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] asn.1 format from tag-length-value format

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:06:06 -0700
vikash jaiswal wrote:

While trying to understand writing a dissector , I have developed a test protocol and successfully written a dissector fot it . Now I wish to generate a dissector automatically by the asn1 convertor available with wireshark.But my test protocol is in tag-length-value format so I need to convert it first to asn.1 format

If your protocol doesn't *already* use ASN.1's Basic Encoding Rules (or the Distinguished Encoding Rules or Canonical Encoding Rules subsets of them), or its Packed Encoding Rules, you can only "convert it to asn.1 format" by changing the protocol in an incompatible fashion.