Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Win32: remove binary zlib.dll completely and compile it for

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 03:05:25 +0200
Gerald Combs schrieb:
Ulf Lamping wrote:
I know I'm asking you to do yet more work, but I think adns needs the same
treatment.

Better make a policy change and implement that. Is 2005EE the way to go?
The zlib thing is about to remove a MSVC 6 specialty that can be done by the way 2005EE is already working and adns will be much the same.

So we're already heading exactly in the 2005EE direction and dropping support for MSVC 6 won't save us a lot of effort.

I'm not opponing against an "official" switch to 2005EE, but I don't see this topic as "the reason" for it :-)

Is it possible to to build a U3 package using 2005EE without making the
user run the Visual C++ Redistributable Package (vcredist_x86.exe)
AFAIK, the redistributable files required (e.g. msvcr80.dll and alike two or three files) are only part of the commercial MSVC 2005, but not of the Express Edition (or there's no redistributable note coming with it, which could make it legally problematic).

It might be possible to put the redistributable files from MSVC 2005 on the wireshark.org server, so anyone could simply add these dll's to the installer which then goes to c:\program files\wireshark, so they are there on the end system.

However, I just don't know if it's technically (I didn't tested it) or legally (the MS redistributable agreement might prevent this) possible - so there are many "if's" in this, but it may be possible.

Regards, ULFL