Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] What do you use to get a boolean

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:37:20 -0400

This bit me (again?) today so I've checked in your proposed text (modified slightly): rev 22293.

Jaap Keuter wrote:
Hi,

Reading from README.developer it states:
<quote>
For proto_tree_add_boolean(), the 'value' argument is a 32-bit integer;
zero means "false", and non-zero means "true".
</quote>
That is misleading. You have to take into account the field info to
determine the interpretation of this value (see epan/proto.c :
proto_tree_set_uint() ). You can define a mask of the relevant bit(s) and
this will be applied (mask AND shift) before adding the value to the tree.
So how about this text for README.developer:
<quote>
For proto_tree_add_boolean(), the 'value' argument is a 32-bit integer.
It is masked and shifted as defined by the field info, then zero means
"false", and non-zero means "true".
</quote>

Thanx,
Jaap