Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] GPL license question

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 15:54:44 -0400

wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 07/11/2007 03:44:13 PM:

> Do you really think this case is a "borderline" one if the plugin is
> using the wireshark dissection API?

No, I am not saying anything.  I don't know enough about the details
of Wireshark plug-in/dissector development.  I'm still trying to figure
out the changes _I_ need to make for my job.  And all of my changes
(If I ever get them done, will be fed back up-stream,
 because I believe (in general) with the GPL.)

All I did was point to the applicable sections in the license
and allow the code's author to interpret their own relevance.

> The FAQ pointed by Jaap is about the plug-in mechanism but the plugin is
> linked with libwireshark which *is* GPLv2. Of course, if you're not
> dissecting your protocol with the wireshark API, we might start again
> this discussion but I doubt you can write a functional wireshark plugin
> dissector without linking to libwireshark.

Probably!  Unfortunately, I don't know enough about Wireshark coding
yet to even be classified as 'dangerous'.  :-)

This document is strictly confidential and intended only for use by the addressee unless otherwise stated.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your system.