Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] how to disable dissectors when I build TShark ?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 11:06:57 -0700
Jean-Gr�goire Foulon wrote:

-The Arp dissector is linked to arcnet because it calls "dissector_add(" arcnet.protocol_id", ARCNET_PROTO_ARP_1051, arp_handle);" it is hard to detect, and I don't know if there would be an easy way to modify Wireshark code to avoid such dependencies.

One possibility would be to have dissector_add() fail rather than aborting if the dissector table isn't found.

An option to force an abort (e.g., a command-line option) might be useful during development, to catch typoes in dissector table names.

So I will probably have to comment a lot of those call to suppress the dependencies. My patch might be bigger than I expected, I hope the wiki allows to upload files.

It does (that's how capture files are added, for example), but I don't know if it has a file size limitation.