Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Windows build crashing

From: Jim Pickering <james.pickering@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 15:01:40 -0700
Never mind!  Thanks for the help.  Wasn't building zlib.dll for some reason.

Jim

Jim Pickering
Senior Software Engineer
SRI International
4119 Broad Street, Suite 210
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Phone: (805) 542-9330 ext. 125
FAX: (805) 546-2444

Jim Pickering wrote:
The build environment is Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition.

I built adns_dll.dll with Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition and relinked wireshark, as suggested.

Wireshark still crashes when loading a previously saved capture file or when starting a new capture.

Even though we have a copy of MS VC 6.0, I would really like to use Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition, as I am hoping to hand off the maintenance of our dissector to other developers who don't have access to a copy of MS VC 6.0.

Jim

Jim Pickering
Senior Software Engineer
SRI International
4119 Broad Street, Suite 210
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Phone: (805) 542-9330 ext. 125
FAX: (805) 546-2444

Graham Bloice wrote:
Jim Pickering wrote:
I am new to the mailing list and am in the process of developing a
protocol dissector.

I downloaded the source and build the executable on Windows XP.
Everything went quite well. Kudos to the development team.

I ran the built app
(C:\wireshark>C:\wireshark\wireshark-gtk2\wireshark.exe), selected
"Capture", selected "Interfaces", hit "Start" on my "Broadcom NetXtreme
Gigabit Ethernet Driver", and it
crashes with the following:
   AppName: wireshark.exe     AppVer: 0.99.5.0     ModName: msvcr80.dll
   ModVer: 8.0.50727.762     Offset: 0001ebf3

This does not happen with the executable I downloaded.

Built executable from source is Version 0.99.5
Downloaded executable is Version 0.99.5 (SVN Rev 20677)

I am dying to get started on my protocol dissector, but this is holding
me up!

Any ideas? Can I supply any more information?

You don't indicate your build environment, but as msvcr80.dll is mentioned I
assume that you're using VS2005 in some form.

If this is the case, I think the problem is likely to be adns_dll.dll. The
version that is downloaded is built with VC6, and doesn't play well with
VS2005 (VC8). Open the adns project (adns_win32.dsw) in VS2005, convert it to the VS2005 project format and rebuild it. Link wireshark again and you should
be good to go.