Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark conference

From: Gerhard Gappmeier <gerhard.gappmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 17:48:08 +0200
Sounds interesting.
I believe this would be especially interesting for developers.
Using wireshark is not that difficult, but maybe users have a different opinion.

Where do you plan to make this happen? Europe or USA?
Where do most WS developers come from?

You could offer wireshark developers workshops during the conference.
* Developing a basic dissector plugin with tips and hints for common problems.
* Developing GUI add-ons for configuring dissectors, etc.

A discussion about the future architecture would be interesting like Ulf already mentioned.
E.g. a common library/dissector for security algorithms and protocols.
More and more protocols are using encryption in any way. It would be great to have a simple way to reuse existing code like TLS or just basic algorithms like AES,RSA, etc. to implement other security protocols. A common configuration dialog for importing keys, certificates, etc. which would be necessary
for decrypting such data.
Collecting ideas and discussing this alone could fill a whole day I think.