Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] ssl dissector errors when debugging

From: Brian Vandenberg <phantal@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 18:09:46 -0600
I just got a plugin I wrote awhile back compiling under 0.99.5 and tried to run it from within VS2005's debugger. I loaded up a dump file from tcpdump, then went into preferences & setup the SSL dissector. As soon as I hit apply I received a message saying:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Windows has triggered a breakpoint in wireshark.exe

This may be due to a corruption of the heap, and indicates a bug in wireshark.exe or any of the DLLs it has loaded.

 The output window has the following text:

HEAP[wireshark.exe]: Invalid Address specified to RtlFreeHeap( 022B0000, 04239F68 )
Windows has triggered a breakpoint...<repeat of previous text>

That's from setting the SSL key settings. Similar things happen during the SSL dissection process. The only difference each time around seems to be the 2nd parameter of RtlFreeHeap, otherwise the message is identical. It occurs on lines 975, 977, 979, 981, and 983 of packet-ssl-utils.c.

I vaguely remember something like this happening back when I used to debug with VS6, but it wasn't as big a headache. Usually I could just F5 through it a few times after-which I didn't have to fool with it anymore, but in VS8 it's quite a pain.

 Anyone familiar with this and/or know how to resolve it?

-Brian