Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] New Wimax plugin

From: "Harvey, Michael" <michael.harvey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 16:41:02 -0700
I am a software engineer at Intel. We have developed a WiMax plugin for
Wireshark and wish to contribute the source to the community. The source
consists of two plugins, each in its own directory. There is really
nothing to patch, except maybe the Makefiles.

I would assume that you would not want to include our plugin with the
normal distribution, since Wimax is a wireless protocol. This plugin is
primarily of interest to Wimax developers who are using an
Ethernet-based Mac to Mac protocol for test purposes, or those who are
building wireless Wimax sniffer hardware. Anyone who uses this is
probably going to need to modify it to work with their own
Ethernet-based carrier protocol, so it's not really useful to casual
users.

So how do I upload this? We were thinking of just providing a tarball
that would not be part of the standard distro, but which could be
downloaded as an add-on from the wireshark repository. (We have tested
the plugin to make sure it builds on Windows, Linux, and 64-bit Linux;
that it can be built by simply dropping into the plugins (source)
directory and modifying a couple of makefiles; and that the resulting
*.so files can be simply dropped into an existing Wireshark 0.99.X
plugins (binary) dir and used.)

Thanks,
Mike