Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Win32 buildslave failure

From: "Bill Meier" <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 13:40:37 -0400

> > No that's simply a bug introduced into the GTK/GDK code of WS by someone.
> >
> > The buidlbot test fails with:
> >
> > --------------
> >
> > (wireshark.exe:2228): Gtk-WARNING **: unable to find signal handler for object(GtkEntry:02A251F8) with func(00000000) and data(02978E78)
> >
> > (wireshark.exe:2228): Gtk-WARNING **: unable to find signal handler for object(GtkEntry:02A251F8) with func(00000000) and data(02978E78)
> >
> > (wireshark.exe:2228): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_pack_start: assertion `child->parent == NULL' failed
> >
> > (wireshark.exe:2228): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_pack_start: assertion `child->parent == NULL' failed
> >
> > --------------
> >
> > These Warnings/Criticals didn't appeared in former WS versions and AFAIK
> > the test weren't changed recently.
> >

> My belief is that this is not a bug in GTK/GDK but rather an attempt by
> wireshark to output an error message (pop up window ?) during one of the unit
> tests. Wireshark is being run from a shell command line for the unit tests
> and maybe this test setup doesn't quite work well for the gui.

OK: I've investigated further:

1. I stepped through wireshark startup and found that the
   Gtk-WARNINGS and Gtk-CRITICAL messages are all related
   to what appears to be airpcap GUI initialization.
   The messages are presumably benign and are *not* the
   reason the 'run tests' step was failing.

   (Note: It seems that these messages appear in the console window only
          when running wireshark with (stdout ?)  (stderr ?)
          redirected to a file. I don't understand all this and
          haven't pursued it).

2. I've lengthened the timeout for the capture tests from 20 seconds
   to 60 seconds. The capture tests currently seem to
   be runing OK in the windows buildbot. We'll see if they
   continue to run OK.

   I don't know whether the "Capture Buffer Size too Large" message
   observed by Gerald was related to the test failures.

   Time will tell....

Bill