Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] OpCua faulty checkin and breaks the build

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 11:34:18 +0200
Jaap Keuter wrote:
Hi,

Multiple things are wrong with the recently added OpCua plugin:
Ooops, sorry for any inconvenience.
- There are no properties on the directory or the files,
fixed - I've simply forgot to add them
- The headers are missing from the Makefile.common, breaking the dist,
fixed
- Not all DISSECTOR_SRC are dissector main entry point. The rest should be
in the DISSECTOR_SUPPORT_SRC symbol,
Gerhard, could you have a look?
- Makefile.nmake should be the generalized kind,
Gerhard?
- Don't check in the plugin.c, it's generated,
removed
- plugin.rc.in is missing, as is moduleinfo.nmake,
- neither if these are in the dist,
Gerhard?

BTW: Why do we need two nmake files for each plugin?!?
- non standard headers on the source files.
Gerhard?

BTW: Do you have an example?
It looks like a rushed check in, something we should try to avoid.
Well, I got all those sources from Gerhard Gappmeier (as discussed on the list) and tried to review the c sources / make things as stable as possible (e.g. I've done extensive fuzz testing).

It seems that Gerhard was using the "old style" plugin build process.

I don't have a Unix machine at hand, so I could only test this on Win32 (Gerhard is developing on Unix, so I thought the build process is ok). I've relied to see problems on the buildbot, but just at the moment I've checked in changes it was already deeply red again by changes in packet-per. I've waited for a few hours for the buildbot to get green again (or showed me problems caused by opcua) but it didn't - so I simply gave up.

Someone with more knowledge than me about the new plugin build process may have a look to bring this dissector into the new style ...

Regards, ULFL