Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Where is libpcap-devel source code.

From: John <heimdal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 06:39:15 -0700
Hello,

Near as I can tell, my Solaris 10 x86 system needs libpcap-devel, compiled from source, in order for wireshark to build:

The Wireshark package has been configured with the following options.
                   Build wireshark : no     # :-<.....
                   Build tshark : yes
                   Build capinfos : yes
                   Build editcap : yes
                   Build dumpcap : yes
                   Build mergecap : yes
                   Build text2pcap : yes
                   Build idl2wrs : yes
                   Build randpkt : yes
                   Build dftest : yes

                   Install setuid : no
                   Use plugins : yes
                   Build lua plugin : no
                   Build rtp_player : no
                  Use GTK+ v2 library : yes
                  Use threads : no
                  Build profile binaries : no
                  Use pcap library : yes
                  Use zlib library : yes
                  Use pcre library : no
                  Use kerberos library : no
                  Use GNU ADNS library : no
                  Use GNU crypto library : no
                  Use SSL crypto library : no
                  Use IPv6 name resolution : no
                  Use Net-SNMP library : yes
                  Use gnutls library : yes
merlin.arthur:/home/arthur/src/wireshark-0.99.5 >

I cannot seem to find the source code for "libpcap-devel", only the RPM? Additional "configure" information, which may, or may not(?) be helpful:

checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.0.0... no
*** Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the *** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK+ is incorrectly installed.

Here is some pkginfo output germaine to the above "configure" whinage:

merlin.arthur:/home/arthur/src/wireshark-0.99.5 >pkginfo -l | grep -i gtk
   VENDOR:  http://www.gtk.org packaged for CSW by Philip Brown
     NAME:  glib2 - the low-level core library for GTK+ and GNOME
   VENDOR:  http://www.gtk.org packaged for CSW by Ken Mays
  PKGINST:  CSWgtk
     NAME:  gtk - the Gimp ToolKit library, libgtk
   VENDOR:  http://www.gtk.org packaged for CSW by Philip Brown
  PKGINST:  CSWgtk2
     NAME:  gtk2 - GTK+, The multi-platform toolkit for GUI development
VENDOR: http://ftp.gnome.org/mirror/gnome.org/sources/gtk+ packaged for CSW by Ken Mays
  PKGINST:  SUNWGtkr
     NAME:  GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Root)
     DESC:  GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Root)
  PKGINST:  SUNWGtku
     NAME:  GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Usr)
     DESC:  GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Usr)
merlin.arthur:/home/arthur/src/wireshark-0.99.5 >

Any help, and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as wireshark is a fascinating program, and I would like the experience of writing one or two plugins-dissectors for it.

Cheers,

John