Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] distclean and build errors

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 08:11:09 +0200
Tyler De Haven Brown wrote:
When I attempt to build wireshark on Microsoft Windows 2000 I get the following error:
First of all, read the developer's guide "Quick Setup" section http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChapterSetup.html.
k12text.c(938) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'unistd.h': No suc
h file or directory
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows
 Server 2003 R2\Bin\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
Well, you need to do a distclean as described in the devel guide.
I have tried to do a distclean, yet I receive this error:

NMAKE : fatal error U1052: file 'Makefile.nmake' not found
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows
 Server 2003 R2\Bin\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows
 Server 2003 R2\Bin\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

(after the distclean, the build has the same problem as stated above (no change))
The Makefile.nmake is in the directory:
C:\wireshark
Looks like you're running nmake in the wrong directory.

If the problems remain, try to interchange steps 2 and 3 of http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSetupWin32.html#ChSetupPrepareCommandCom and please report if that has helped (or not).
All of the other files (that I manually downloaded from http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/wireshark-win32-libs/trunk/packages/) and then succesfully ran nmake Makefile.nmake setup (to unpack them) are located in the directory: C:\wireshark-win32-libs P.S.-I had to download the files manually, because even when setting the http_proxy correctly, I couldn't access the anonsvn server
Well, if you've setup http_proxy correctly (to be honest I doubt this), you might sit behind a *very* restrictive corporate proxy. You may use Wireshark to analyze the problem :-)

Regards, ULFL