Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] assertion for malformed packets?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 03:36:17 -0700
Jeff Morriss wrote:

Bug 1511 replaced a g_assert() by a DISSECTOR_ASSERT() to avoid exiting on a bad packet, but that will show up as a "dissector bug" when really the problem is in the packet.

You're correct - neither g_assert() nor DISSECTOR_ASSERT() are appropriate for problems with packet data. An assert is something that should be used to test something that should *always* be true - i.e., there's an error in the code if it's not true. That applies to assert(), g_assert(), and DISSECTOR_ASSERT() - and to any DISSECTOR_ASSERT_... macro.

Any objections to, say, DISSECTOR_ASSERT_MALFORMED_PACKET which would throw a BoundsError for use in this kind of situations? (No, it's not
really a bounds error

Then it shouldn't be BoundsError.

but the effect is the desired one: the user gets shown "malformed packet".) I have, in the past, also wanted a simple assertion like that when a dissector finds illogical stuff in the packet.

In that particular case, dissection shouldn't necessarily be aborted if an AVP has a bogus length - a bad AVP within a Grouped AVP should terminate dissection of the grouped AVP, but the dissector should be able to dissect the next AVP.

If there are problems at a low level in a packet that should truly abort the dissection of that entire packet, not just a sub-item in the packet, we should probably add a new exception for that purpose; we're already abusing ReportedBoundsError for that in some places. If the problem is associated with a particular item in the packet, the exception shouldn't add its own item to the protocol tree, as happens with ReportedBoundsError - the item in the packet should be displayed with an error indication, and then the exception should be thrown. That exception should be caught in the same places that ReportedBoundsError is caught, so that if a given lower-level packet has data from more than one higher-level packet, an error in the higher-level packet doesn't abort dissection of the lower-level packet.

This raises several questions:

1) I seem to remember noticing that, at some point, generic TVL/AVP/{whatever the particular protocol spec calls them} dissection code was added for use by dissectors, although I can't remember where it was. Am I misremembering? If not, where's that code, and could we convert more dissectors to use it? Presumably if it can dissect TVL's/AVP's/whatever's when the length is the total length of the item, rather than the length of the value, it checks for a length that's shorter than the length of the type field + the length of the length field, and somehow reports an error.

2) Perhaps some mechanism for flagging a packet as being somehow "bad" would be useful, so a display filter could check for "bad" packets, and various types of problems, including but not limited to actual ReportedBoundsErrors?

Would the expert mechanism be appropriate for that? We can already mark a packet as having an error with an expert severity of PI_ERROR; should we support display filters to check for particular expert severities?

3) Speaking of the expert mechanism, why are the PI_ values defined in proto.h rather than expert.h?

4) In a number of dissectors, length checking when dissecting sub-items within an item is done by creating a tvbuff for the item; that means that if the item is too short, a ReportedBoundsError exception is thrown if the item is too short, so dissection of the entire packet is aborted even if items past the too-short item can be dissected.