Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] FYI: Native Mac OS X port of GTK+ on the horizon ...

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 23:43:18 -0700
On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 03:28:09AM +0200, Ulf Lamping wrote:

> Just stumbled over "Gtk+ for Mac OS X":
>
> http://developer.imendio.com/projects/gtk-macosx
>
> which is a native port of GTK+ - so you won't need an X server. The
> screenshots suggests to be aimed towards bringing a native "The Gimp"
> to the MAC.
>
> The project seems to be in early beta (or maybe still alpha) state,
> maybe a bit too early to use it with Wireshark. I'm not using a MAC
> myself, but the interested MAC developers might keep an eye on it :-)

Sure enough, it works with Wireshark!  Still buggy though on the menu
handling and lists on the screen update really slowly (such as the
packet list or expert info).  Any feature I tried worked though. :)

The trick to compiling with this GTK is following the install directions
and using the script from the Imendio site and then setting some
environment variables to tell it to use pkgconfig, gtk, etc. from the
special directory you put it in.  The
--with-gtk-prefix=/--with-gtk-exec-prefix configure options are only for
GTK1 it turns out.

Steve