Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark 0.99.5 "make rpm-package" problems onRHEL3

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 20:23:08 +0200
Maynard, Chris wrote:
Ah, I guess that explains it.  Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 is equipped
with  gtk2-2.2.4-19 (and gtk+-1.2.10-31).  Is gtk 2.4 or higher a
requirement for building a Wireshark rpm?  I did not see any mention of
any minimum 2.x requirement in the README.developer, README.linux or any
other README* files.
There's basically no "formal" requirement, at least that I know of. On the other hand it's a question if all developers are willing to "code around" 2.2 limitations that have been addressed in 2.4 or later (in most cases it should be possible, but will require additional effort).

The problem is, if you write code on a box that has 2.4 or higher you won't even notice a problem here, you won't get any warning or such.

Most (all?) developers will use 2.4 or much later, so no one notices it.
Is there any way to resolve this ... without having to upgrade to 2.4 of
course?  I can upgrade my own development box, but it would not be
possible for me to upgrade all boxes on which Wireshark is intended to
run on.
You may try GTK 1.2 which should still work. Don't ask me how to do (configure) this, I'm currently Win32 only ;-)

Regards, ULFL