Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Which takes precedence - plug-ins or built-in dissectors?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 09:31:55 -0700
Bryan Miller wrote:

What happens if I add a plug-in for a dissector that already is statically
linked into Wireshark?  Does the plug-in take precedence or will there be a
conflict?

There is no guarantee of any particular outcome. It depends on the mechanism the dissectors use to register themselves, and the way those mechanisms happen to be implemented in any particular version of Wireshark.

If you have improvements for a dissector, you should replace that dissector directly, and send us the improvements so we can put them into the main Wireshark release.