Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Buildbot compile flags

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 19:47:35 -0700

On Mar 22, 2007, at 7:10 PM, Stephen Fisher wrote:

The Unix(/Mac) buildbots are failing with warnings turned errors
(-Werror) caused by the --with-extra-gcc-checks option to configure
(adds things like -pedantic).

Do we need the buildbots to compile with these extra warnings? I'm not
enabling them when fixing warnings and turning on -Werror, so it's
breaking unexpectedly.  An example of one of the new warnings is:

ber.c:70: warning: ISO C90 does not support the `ll' printf length
modifier

...and if I compile

	long long int
	fnord(long long int foo)
	{
		return foo + 17;
	}

with "gcc -O2 -Wall -W -pedantic -c fnord.c", I get

	fnord.c:1: warning: ISO C90 does not support ‘long long’
	fnord.c:2: warning: ISO C90 does not support ‘long long’

(GCC 4.x).

I think -pedantic is a hopeless cause here; the only way to get it to keep quiet would be to get rid of FT_INT64/FT_UINT64 and everything else that uses 64-bit integral data types, or to support them only in 64-bit environments (which means no support on most of the desktop machines on which Wireshark is run; someday, they'll all be 64-bit, and maybe even be running in 64-bit environments, but that's probably a few years off).