Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Prevent compiler warnings by using "stop on warnings"/"treat

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 23:17:33 -0700
Joerg Mayer wrote:

No, it won't work. I've spent many many hours in the past to get rid of
compiler warnings and it just won't work. While we definitely should try
to get rid of some warnings, fixing warnings on one platform may introduce
warnings on other platforms (or even gcc versions).

In particular, as I remember, there's at least one warning where, at least as I read the ANSI C standard, MSVC++ 6.0 is confused and incorrectly reports a const vs. non-const warning - and, if you change the code to get rid of that warning, GCC, at least, then warns (correctly) about the type clash.