Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Prevent compiler warnings by using "stop on warnings"/"treat

From: "Martin Mathieson" <martin.r.mathieson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 12:44:06 +0000
Currently, you don't tend to even notice new warnings that you introduce
on your own platform, as they get lost in the general compilation noise.

Part of the problem (when working from the command-line at least) is
how much output is generated, and how far you'd need to scroll back to
see the compilation of the file you've just changed.  For speed, I
spend much of the time only compiling the one file,  e.g. I'll run
'make epan/dissectors/packet-whatever.lo' until my changes compile.
This makes my affect on the number of warnings pretty obvious.

Incidentally, if anyone knows the right knob to stop gcc accepting
variable declarations in the middle of a block of code, it really needs
turning on. I manage to mess this up almost every time I submit a patch...

_

I think -Wdeclaration-after-statement is what you need.

Martin