Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 21019: /trunk/plugins/profinet/ /tru

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 20:42:48 +0100
Jeff Morriss wrote:
ulfl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=21019

User: ulfl
Date: 2007/03/11 12:07 PM

Log:
 as Jeff made empty field names "illegal", he changed the way PN-IO and PN-PTCP showed their blocks in an unwanted way - fix it

Oops, sorry 'bout that.

Should I have?
Well, your change sounds reasonable and it was a five minute fix for me - no big deal.
I've used proto_tree_add_text() to do the same thing before (avoiding using an hf_ entry) but that's because I had what I wanted the subtree item to look like when creating it. I don't know if you can add_text() an empty string (to be filled in later).
There seems to be several ways to do the same thing ...
Maybe empty names should be OK for FT_NONE's (which aren't filterable anyway)?
Having a clear rule "don't use an empty string here" sounds like a good idea to me.

Regards, ULFL