Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] fuzz testing segfault found

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 13:47:39 -0800
On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 04:06:15PM +0100, Matthijs Mekking wrote:

> when I was fuzz testing my shim6 (www.shim6.org) enabled wireshark
> implementation, I found a segfault during the testing of:
>
> http://wiki.wireshark.org/SampleCaptures?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=iseries.cap
>
> However, when fuzz testing the original wireshark (0.99.4), this same
> error occurs. So, I assume it was not in my newly written code, but an
> earlier error. Thought I should mention it.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  The fuzz test script
introduces errors into a capture file and then runs tshark on the new
file to make sure it doesn't crash.  This means that your run of
fuzz-test.sh may be different than mine (which just ran over 700 times
on that capture file without a crash).  There should be a capture file
file in your /tmp directory with the name fuzz-<date+pid>.pcap that
caused the crash.  Could you attach that file to a new bug report
(compressing the file with gzip will reduce the size a lot) so we can
find and test a fix.

Steve