Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Use ethereal as a proprietary protocol parser; no ethernet/I

From: "Hal Lander" <hal_lander@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 00:42:33 -0900
Hi Tom,

I am just starting to learn how to use Wireshark myself (it used to be Ethereal),messing about with a protocol sent within TCP.

You should probably start by downloading Wireshark and running it on your network to see what it does. It will capture and decode the TCP which it knows about, but will not understand your proprietary protoco - though you will see the bytesl. If you write a new dissector plugin for your protocol Wireshark will then be able to decode it as well as the TCP.

One problem will be that you seem to be wanting to run from log files, which are probably not in a format that Wireshark can read.

So, yes I would use Wireshark but I would try and capture the network data using packages that already exist and which save a format that Wireshark can already read.

Hal